Long Residence means that you have been residing legally in the UK for 10 or more years continuously.
In case you leave the UK for a continuous period of 180 days or more, or if you have stayed outside the UK for approximately 539 days, then your Long Residency is likely to have been broken and you will not qualify.
What is Indefinite Leave To Remain?
As per the UK immigration rules, if you have continuously resided in the UK for 10 years or more you may be eligible to apply for ILR or indefinite leave to remain. This is also known as ‘Settlement’ or have settled status. This includes your unrestricted stay in the UK and bringing your dependents along to stay with you in the UK.
An individual may be able to extend their stay for further 2 years, which is also known as leave to remain even if they do not meet all the eligibility criteria.
The individual will have to pay £2389 for settlement or ILR
The individual will have to pay £1033 if they need to extend their stay for another 2 years.
You must also pay £19.20 to have your biometric information which includes fingerprints and a photo taken at a given centre.
Eligibility For Indefinite Leave To Remain(ILR)
If the individual is willing to apply for settlement, he/she must fulfil the eligibility requirements. In preparation for indefinite leave to remain, you must already have leave to remain or long residency UK, which is a grant to reside in the UK in any immigration category. If they have resided legally in the UK for at least 10 years, then they may be eligible for indefinite leave to remain. So as to achieve this, one must fulfil all of the following conditions:
- He/she must have passed the Life in the UK Test,
- He/she must evidence the English language proficiency level as per CEFR
- The 10 year period in the UK must not have been broken
- Must not have any criminal convictions in your name
- There must be no underlying reason of public interest to refuse your application.
- He/she as not left the UK for a continuous period of 180 days
- Neither stayed outside the UK for 539 days
He/she must provide:
- a current passport with blank pages
- A valid travel ID
- The biometric residence permit
- History of your travel to the UK
He/she must also furnish a certified translation of any document/documents that are not in English or Welsh.
Fast-track decision on your application
If He/she is looking to apply to settle you can pay an extra £800 for the super-priority service. You can expect the decision:
- by Approximately end of the next working day after furnishing your biometric information if your appointment is on a weekday
- After 2 working days after furnishing your biometric information if your appointment is at the weekend
While it is imperative to fulfil the above eligibility requirements, the applicants must also consider the case of children or family as dependents visa application. There should be no casual approach taken while presenting the case. You may need to be continuously abreast with the UK immigration news and updates and must consult expert UK immigration lawyers’ advice to represent your case hassle-free. A Y & J Solicitors have some of the best immigration lawyers. They provide tailor-made solutions to each client’s unique case.
If you have more content related to law? You can write for us legal!