The presence of kids in any household makes it twice more beautiful. Their sweet laughter and innocent naughtiness soften the heart of anyone who gets to be around them. As much as it is a privilege to have kids in one’s home, it is equally challenging to keep them safe in a place that is full of electrical appliances concerning various purposes.
In today’s time, it is impossible to have a house that does not consist of electrical appliances. Although electrical appliances accompany our daily needs to accomplish them smoothly, there are a few cons that follow with its usage. Electrically driven devices have a few hazards by its inaccurate use, and with the presence of kids in a household, the risk only increases.
Electronic appliances have to be operated with extra care if you have kids in your home. Children invite risks unknowingly if left around open cords and switches. As a parent, it should be your priority to protect your kids from all the possible damages that can arise with the usage of appliances. It is impossible to stop using electrical devices to block any upcoming risks, which is when the role of prevention comes in the frame. Read on to know how to keep your home and kids safe with all the electronics appliances.
Safety regarding the usage of electrical appliances
Safe usage of electrical appliances comes first with its handling, which is why a user manual is always available with the device for you to ensure how you can use it properly. Read the user’s guide carefully before placing and operating it at its designated place. There are a few more things that you won’t always find in the manual, but you have to keep them in mind to prevent risks. If you are using an appliance daily, then make sure to follow these steps to guarantee a safe operation and life of that appliance.
- Do not operate any electrical device with wet hands. Water is a good conductor of electricity, which makes it easier for us to get an electric shock.
- Plug out the power cord of the appliance from the switchboard when not in use.
- Take extra care of the appliances that you place near any source with water such as washroom, swimming pool or kitchen.
- Do not use appliances that are broken or have snapped cords.
- Make sure you have socket covers installed around your child’s playing area. Socket covers prevent kids from the risk of touching and putting their fingers near the source of electricity that is a socket.
- Abstain from putting any metal object in or around any electrical appliance. Metal, being a good conductor of electricity, can risk your and your loved one’s life.
Safety regarding the maintenance of electrical appliances
The life and smooth usage of an electronic device depend on the way you maintain it. The more you keep it well, the safer it is for your home and kids. Every appliance demands maintenance to work well. Maintenance consists of essential cleaning and necessary check-ups from a professional to ensure its smooth and safe usage. Proper maintenance not only extends the life of your appliance, but it also promotes safety that a house with kids must-have. Lack of support increases the risk of accidents, so here are a few steps that you should keep in mind to guarantee a safe environment.
- The most important thing that you must acknowledge is not to repair faulty appliances on your own. Handling electrical devices is a challenge on its own and we better not mention the risks of handling a faulty device. It is a professional’s task, and you should leave it upon them only.
- Get broken cords of any device repaired or do not use the appliance with broken cords. Kids can easily reach places and play with such an unsafe device.
- Cleaning the device can be a tricky task, so study well about it before taking up the task. Usage of water or detergent depends on the device, so go through the instruction manual on how to clean it.
- Contact an electrician once in a while to search for any possible damages that can be risky.
Safety regarding proper storage of electrical appliances
You have to ensure the safety of your household even when the electronic devices are not in use. There are lesser chances of an electrical injury if the device is stored safely when not in use. It extends the lifetime of an appliance and guarantees safety for your household. The chances of electrical pieces of equipment getting damaged increases when you keep them open and away from the sheltered storage. Keeping unused appliances away from open places assure its and kid’s safety. Here’s what you must know about the safe storage of electrical appliances.
- Before storing the appliance, keep it in its original box.
- If you are storing a device such as Television, then do not wrap the tv power cord around the device. Instead, tie it neatly and cover it with a plastic wrap. This will make sure your kids don’t fiddle with it.
- Secure the boxes well that have electrical appliances made out of glass. You can use thick duct tape to secure it well.
- Refrain from storing the appliance in places that are near water sources.
Reducing the usage of electrical devices is nearly impossible, which is why prevention is a necessity. The risk of an accident always persists but smartly managing your appliances lessens that risk. Electricity has empowered our lives to a large extent, but it also has its cons, which are not very hard to drive away. Following all the safety measures around electricity is all that it takes to keep yourself and your family safe.