The city of Nizam, Hyderabad is forth most populated city in India. Spread along the bank of Musi River, Hyderabad was the home of many Mughal rulers. The influence of the same can be seen in many architectural wonders, located in different parts of the city. One of biggest cities in India, Hyderabad has all the modern facilities with a rich Islamic history.
Many historical monuments can be visited during the city tour, like the global icon of Hyderabad Char Minar, the home ground of Koh-i-Noor Golkonda Fort, Qutb Sahi Tombs, UNESCO Asia Pacific Merit award winner Chowmahalla Palace and the beautiful, exotic artificial lake Hussain Sagar.
The largest artificial lake in entire Asia, Hussain Sagar was built in the year 1563 by the Mughal ruler Ibrahim Quli Qutub Shah. Secunderabad and Hyderabad is connected with this lake. This heart shape lake was designed by Hussain Saha Wali and named after him.
A huge statue of Lord Buddha which has a height of 18 meters and weight almost of 350 tones, is placed at the middle of the lake. The statue was a part of the Buddha Purnima project and was erected in the year 1992.
Awards & Recognition
United Nations World Tourism Organization has awarded this heritage site in three different categories. On 27th September 2012 UNWTO awarded this lake for being the ‘World’s Largest Heart Shaped lake’, ‘World’s Heritage Heart Shaped Mark’ and the ‘World’s Wonderful Heart Shaped Mark’.
Things to do
This lake is a popular tourist spot among all the Hyderabadi. A number of activities are available for tourist of all age group.
- The most favorite activity among tourist is boating at the lake. Speedboat, motorboat etc are available in the different ghats of the lake. A 48 seater launch is also available which provides food and space for private parties.
- Laser show of Lumbini Park is another famous attraction. With an awesome background, this 3D Laser show has become one of the best shows in the country.
- Apart from this one can also enjoy parasailing and musical fountain show.
Hussain Sagar is situated at the center of many renowned landmarks.
- India’s 3rd IMAX theatre, Prasad’s IMAX is very close to this lake and offers five-screen multiplex, gaming zone, shopping zone and a food court.
- Tourist can also visit Lumbini Park, Indira Park, Sanjeevaiah Park and NTR Garden.
- Birla Family’s Birla Mandir is sited on the south of Hussain Sagar. Made of white marble this temple took 10 years to complete.
The joint venture of Maharashtra Tourism Development and Indian Railway Ministry, Deccan Odyssey was launched on 16th January 2004. This five-star hotel on wheels is based on the model of Palace on Wheels. This blue beauty has all the modern facilities like attached toilets, hot and cold water, DVD player, rejuvenating health spa, mini gym, 2 multi-cuisine restaurants, and bar- lounge.
The train runs on 6 different itineraries which complete in 8 days and 7 nights. Among this 6 wonderful tour, one can choose the Jewels of the Deccan route to explore the heritage sites of Hyderabad. The details of the same are given below:
- Jewels of the Deccan: Duration 7 nights/ 8 days
Destination Covered: Mumbai-Bijapur-Aihole-Pattadakal-Hampi-Hyderabad-Ellora Caves-Ajanta Caves- Mumbai
So, if you don’t want to miss the amazing view of Hussain Sagar or the Leaser 3D show or the boat ride then you can take the help of luxury train and book the Deccan Odyssey which will surely make your journey delightful.